Skip to main navigation.

Safe Homes

Before plugging into electricity, plug into electrical safety with these quick safety checks:

Outlets - Check for outlets that have loose-fitting plugs that can overheat and lead to fire. Replace any broken wall plates. Make sure there are safety covers on all unused outlets that are accessible to children.

 

Cords - Make sure cords are in good condition – not frayed or cracked. Make sure they are placed out of traffic areas. Cords should never be nailed or stapled to the wall baseboard or to another object and they should not have any furniture resting on them.

 

Extension Cords - Check to see that the cords are not overheated. Additionally, extension cords should only be used on a temporary basis. They are not safe as permanent household wiring.

 

Plugs - Make sure the proper type plug is in each outlet. If you are using three-prong plugs in a room with two-conductor outlets, do not cut off the ground pin (the third-bottom prong) from the plug; this could lead to an electrical shock hazard. A better solution is to use a two-prong adapter. Never force a plug into an outlet if it doesn’t fit. This could lead to fire or shock. Plugs should fit securely into outlets and outlets should not be overloaded.

 

Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters - GFCIs can prevent many electrocutions. They should be used in any area where water and electricity may come into contact. Test GFCIs regularly according to the manufacturer’s instructions to make sure they are working properly.

 

Appliances - If one appliance repeatedly blows a fuse or trips a circuit breaker or if it has emitted an electric shock, unplug it and have it repaired or replaced.

 

Water and Electricity Don’t Mix - Don’t place any electrical appliance near water. Appliances that are used near water should be unplugged when not in use. If you have an appliance that is wet, unplug it and don’t use it until it’s been checked by a qualified repair person.

 

Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo