Tree Planting Guidelines
Plan Before You Plant
Location, Location, Location. It’s everything when planting trees.
- Trees that grow into power lines can create a safety hazard for children climbing them, individuals trimming them or crews working on electrical lines.
- More than half of all power outages are caused by trees or limbs touching or falling on power lines.
The right tree in the right spot
- When selecting your tree, be sure to consider its size at maturity.
- FEC recommends planting trees at least 50 feet from power lines.
- Don’t gamble with your safety — call FEC at 979-968-3181 or 1-866-968-3181 before you dig, to locate and mark any underground utility lines.
To ensure your tree doesn’t violate the 10-Foot Rule, the spread of the vegetation may require that you actually plant 15-20 feet away from the power pole.